"Those were hard things for me to come by, and I offer them to you for what they may be worth." - Toby Wolff



Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bits of Missouri

I watched you come into the bar 
alone, 
sit at the stool 
as if it were the saddle of a lover. 


From the trough you drank with an unquenchable thirst, 
eyes scanning. 
Rocking like a baby in want of attention
the frenzied movement  of your feet
skipping from one rung to the next, 
was indicator enough 
you lacked hope.


You looked to God, 
and held your need out like a plate.
I watched as the helping served up insufficient to the hunger 
and wondered again, which was contraindicated....
the desire or the denial.


_______________________


Saint Louis is full of holes,
the buildings are thoroughfares to a river breeze
no shutter, no shield, no glass.
With abandon they welcome trespassers
as if brick after brick were once laid as a foundation
for birds and insects
an eco-community so self sufficient
that emptiness
is absolute fulfillment.
.
.
.
.
(I was in St. Louis for a week at a business conference. Can't seem to write anything worthy of posting, so just posting tidbits anyway *shrug*)





16 comments:

  1. I love tidbits - it's a story in itself. Ironically last night I watched a rerun of 'America's Got Talent' and it was in St Louis and the sweetest father-daughter duos auditioned, to make your heart break right open with joy. Look that up, it's what helped me sleep right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if I can find it on Hulu or Youtube. I could use me a dose of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had your business savvy. I'm dreadful at keeping/making/counterfeiting money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. What in this post made you think I have money or business savvy? Unfortunately, I have neither :/

      Never tried my hand an counterfeiting. Hmmm...I am kinda artistic....Hmmmmm

      Delete
    2. The business conference maybe ;) They'd never let me represent someone.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful observations in “Bits”. Felt like I was in a corner watching too.
    Enjoyed the photos. It’s been a long time since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my favorite place to be...back to the wall and eyes set to record.

      Delete
  5. Annie, the bar piece is GOOD. I have often watched the posture of people in bars and it always leads me to think. Perhaps I need a drink to write again. Even tidbits escape me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. As you and I both know...sometimes you have something to say, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you need to say it so badly that there are no words. The when and why of writing is all over the place for me. A couple glasses of wine always takes me down one floor, to thoughts I couldn't reach without stripping away a layer of inhibition. Too much drink and the writing is sloppy and just plain bad!

      Delete
  6. with abandon they welcome trespassers, huh? that's how their baseball fans are. they cheer anyone on their team, and don't boo anyone on the team. and consequently, players like to play there, including good ones. i don't know if the city is full of holes, but that's real good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to a guy to bring this 'round to sports! Humph! I was taken with how many empty brick buildings there were in Downtown St. Louis. Unlike California, where real estate is usually at a premium and abandoned buildings get dozed for new ones, these just stood happy and stoic and old, windows long gone...the brick walls now housing art of the spray painted variety :)

      Delete
  7. I'm in a funk, but your writing is amazing, my Annie. I love you, my BFF. xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sh*t. Aren't we all? LOL. Love you my Marion. We're gonna be okay. If we could just get together. I miss you so much!

      Delete
  8. ah, it's good how you see it. i for some reason like that emptiness you create in the scene now that i know exactly what you are saying. it's good writing with the added info here in the comments. if not for sports, i couldn't understand much:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always been drawn to emptiness. Feels like kinship. Sad in a way. But I is who I is.

      Delete
  9. The photos are very neat, and the moment you caught in your poem came across as oh, so real -- at least to me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for listening.