"Those were hard things for me to come by, and I offer them to you for what they may be worth." - Toby Wolff



Saturday, September 30, 2023

When The Glitter Wears Off

I saw a thousand diamonds
rolling across the surface of the deep,
like the shimmer I wore once
when life was simpler
and ignorant ducks all followed in line.

Who knew the smallest breeze
could blow the glitter elsewhere
and I, left rather dull
and naked.

Am I the Emporer?
Where are my clothes?
Had I ever really owned such regalia?
Or was I dull from the start,
wearing you like a charm?

Then I realized how lopsided it all is.
What is a charm without a bracelet
or a bracelet without an arm?
I am the anchor
without which
glitter gathers dust
in a closet of desire. 

It is MY arm
decorated to my pleasure
that meets your pleasure
or it doesn't.
But it's my fucking arm.

I think you understand now,
right?
I choose the charm
and the glitter is the light I shine
on my own skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for listening.