"Those were hard things for me to come by, and I offer them to you for what they may be worth." - Toby Wolff



Monday, February 14, 2011

Annie's Chair




It did something so warm and fuzzy
like the melting of Mr. Winter
and the Grinch...when his heart did GROW
or when Mrs. Rust said
"your mug is green" as if I should have a mug
much less a color
in a kitchen not my own...
how I'd say "may I please have a drink"
just to see her reach into the cupboard
and pull green from the heart of it.

It wasn't just the appropriation
ooohhh nooooo
but that you pulled it from thin air
a weighty consideration...just
plucked
a thought of me, a concern from no-damn-where
and scratched your head with it!

I'm gonna have to hug you
although you might not be the hugging type
you might stand stiff and resolute next to your La-Z-Boy
while I hang from your neck
and drop ceremoniously
VERY ceremoniously
sacredly
into the chair you gave me
thinking how nice it is
to meet you
.
.
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for listening.