"Those were hard things for me to come by, and I offer them to you for what they may be worth." - Toby Wolff



Friday, October 20, 2017

Post Era



There is a car
far in the distance,
an after thought of sound.

The birds have claimed this space
this tree
as home.

What do they fear...
the birds?
Flight seems so easy
unless you have legs.
Then your feet leave prints
and the floor boards creek
and everyone knows
you just aren't capable of stairs...

You're sneaking out
the best you can,
but legs aren't wings
and footfalls are so heavy and loud
when you are carrying a body.

I tried to leave you everything...
(but me).

And that's the crux of it.

I have driven a painful road,
not unlike your own,
just a pendulum swing away really...
We're not so different
but for my legs in flight.




4 comments:

  1. It always amazes me that some of my old buddies still hang out here! It seems a lifetime away, but at the same time, I still feel connected to you! Hope all is well Anthony!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Annie, how I've missed your beautiful words!!!!! I think we met here in blogland where so many friends have come into our lives. It's great to see you writing and posting again. Don't stop!!!!! I'm trying to write in the midst of the upheaval that is my life. I drag the words painfully from my bruised body/heart. Love you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my sweet precious poetess. You will come through this with new bruises and different future, but all will be well. It is HIS promise. God will not leave you undone! (HUGS) to my girl!!!! XXOO

      Delete

Thank you for listening.