"Those were hard things for me to come by, and I offer them to you for what they may be worth." - Toby Wolff



Friday, May 6, 2011

Holy Smoke

Left - Pastor Tim Stevenson

She said,
Evil! Eeeeevil! God would never consort with sinners!
She called him Evil, like a title...couldn't even write it
had to use her mouth as the vile carrier for her twisted truth
that proud pious rebuke she burnt her lips with
then cooled her tongue with thank you...
the minty mouthwash of hypocrisy

She spat you'll go to hell, and all of them with you!
as the phone ran bloody with her curse,
verses like spikes she drove
out of order, and contradicted.

I know Jesus
I know he would sit across the table from a rebrobate
(me!)
would reach beyond his goblet
wine full...yes WINE, perhaps a cigar
haze like a holy spirit
to share, along with himself

and he'd say
........"Evil?
........A real piece of work, that one!
........As fast as I call 'em, she turns them away.
........I love her dearly."




(My brother in law has started Holy Smoke as "a gathering of truth —seekers enjoying a fine cigar and a beverage while discussing the 'deep' questions about life ... A real conversation about things that matter." He's under fire. But that's not unusual.)





10 comments:

  1. I luuvvvvv a good cigar, but atlas, I have stopped smoking them. Don't I remember something about, you liking them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenn - I enjoy the ritual more than the actual taste. Acid Blondies are my favorite. I smoke cigars like I drink soda. After it touches my lips five or six times, I'm pretty well done with it. Now pizza on the other hand.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good cigar. I've had some awesome Cuban stogies smuggled in by friends. Ah, the good old days....

    Great post!! Jesus hung out with sinners, prostitutes and fishermen. I'm sure he'd catch hell today, too. Good for Pastor Tim!

    Love & Hugs,
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marion - We shoulda...you and I, celebrated myreturn from the swamp with a cigar! Ha! Next time.

    Tim - Return of the phrase. It's making a comeback. I used it just yesterday! Neat-O!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 08, 2011

    “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. neat-o, huh? i like it. my brother says golly gee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Travis - Right on brother. Preach it!

    Ed - Golly gee WHITAKERS! (full phrase)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really great. I have a love/hate relationship with getting into conversations that address the "deeper" questions of life. They are so thought provoking and feel so rewarding in the moment.. but so often I find myself no closer or further from understanding than I was at the start... there goes four hours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let he who hasn't sinned cast the first stone ...

    Even for non-Christians, I think that's a pretty good proverb. We're all pretty flawed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for listening.